As part of our triple bottom line approach to business – Profits, People and Planet – we are committed to treading lightly on the earth and giving back to our local community.
- Our bakery facility is powered with 100% wind power certified by Green-e, the most rigorous certification in the renewable energy industry.
- In our bakery, we divert as much waste from the landfill as we can, and we endeavor to become a completely waste neutral facility.
- At least 40% of our waste is recycled
- Another 40% is compostable materials given to a local composting facility that churns out rich, fertile soil for Baltimore’s urban farming projects
- We are also proud to be part of the community of merchants that accept Baltimore’s own local currency, the BNote. BNotes and other local currencies around the country are about building community and strengthening local economies.
- We donate 1% of our sales revenues directly to Baltimore-based non-profit organizations with specific food-related missions. We focus our giving on strengthening our local food economy in two ways:
- Our staff takes two employer-paid days a year to volunteer with the non-profit organizations we support, sharing the culinary and business skills we use in our daily work at Michele’s Granola with the community!