Our oaty, nutty granola butter creates a craveable filling in these sweet and salty bite-sized treats! You may have seen versions of this recipe made with peanut butter and more than a cup of added sugar, but we introduced wholesome ground flax to the granola butter filling, resulting in a tasty bite with far less sugar.
Makes about 40 bites
About 80 mini pretzels
1 jar Michele's Original or Maple Pecan Oat & Nut Butter, well-stirred
1/4 cup ground flax
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup of chocolate chips or chocolate coating
Optional 1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the jar of Oat & Nut Butter with the ground flax and powdered sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and the granola butter filling will set up and become more dough-like.
2. On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, lay out half your pretzels for the bottom of your pretzel bite sandwich, keeping the other half of your pretzels nearby.
3. Scoop a scant tablespoon of the refrigerated granola butter mix, use a second spoon to dollop it onto a pretzel, then top with another pretzel. You can also use a melon baller to portion out the filling. If the filling becomes sticky as it warms up, refrigerate it again to scoop-able consistency.
4. Once you've used all your granola butter mixture, freeze or refrigerate your pretzel sandwiches for at least 20 minutes (don't skip this step!).
5. Just before you take the pretzels out of the freezer, melt your chocolate. Using the microwave, heat the chocolate in a glass bowl in 30-second interval, stirring carefully to prevent burning. You can also melt it over a double boiler. If your melted chocolate is still thick and doesn't flow well, you can stir in vegetable oil to loosen it up. Start with 1 teaspoon and add the second if needed.
6. Using your hands or a fork, dip half of each pretzel sandwich in the melted chocolate, return it to the cookie sheet and freeze or refrigerate for a half hour to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 10 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Snack, share and enjoy!
Michele's Oat & Nut Butter is gluten-free and certified vegan, so these treats can easily be made gluten-free and/or vegan:
- Gluten-free pretzels work well in this recipe
- For a vegan option, choose a dairy-free chocolate and confirm your powdered sugar is verified vegan as well.