This dessert parfait hits all the right sweet and salty (and crunchy!) notes, making for the perfect ending to a seasonally-inspired dinner.
Salted Caramel Apple Quinoa Parfaits
For the caramel:
- 1 c. sugar
- 6 T. unsalted butter (vegan substitute: Earth Balance)
- 1/2 c. heavy cream (vegan substitute: full fat coconut milk)
- ½ t. pure vanilla extract
- 1 t. sea salt
In a non-stick sauté pan, heat sugar over medium heat stirring continuously. The sugar will begin to brown and form into rocks, and then it will melt into an amber liquid. Keep stirring!
Once the sugar has liquefied, stir in the unsalted butter and allow to bubble vigorously.
Once the butter has melted, slowly pour in the cream while stirring until evenly incorporated.
Cook for 1 minute, and remove from heat.
Stir in the vanilla and salt, and set aside in a glass bowl to cool.
For the apples:
- 2 T. salted butter (vegan substitute: Earth Balance or coconut oil)
- 4 large apples, cored and cubed, peeled or with skin on
- 2 t. cinnamon
In a non-stick sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat and add apples.
Sauté apples and cinnamon for about 10 minutes until soft.
Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
For the parfait:
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt (vegan substitute: Anita’s Coconut Milk Yogurt Alternative or your favorite vegan yogurt)
- 2 T. maple syrup or salted honey
- 1 - 12oz bag of Michele’s Apple Quinoa Granola
Combine the yogurt and maple syrup (or honey) in a small bowl. Build the parfaits by layering the caramel, apples, yogurt and granola. Serve immediately and enjoy!