Cherries and chocolate have long been one of Michele's favorite flavor combinations. Naturally, we were inspired to give this Food & Wine recipe a crunchy twist with our Cherry Chocolate granola, and it was so delicious that it's worth sharing these last days of summer. Make these a day ahead to allow time for the dough to chill before baking and the sandwiches to freeze overnight.
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 ounce), softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pints of Alden's Organic Midnight Cherry Chip or your favorite store bought cherry ice cream, softened
8 ounces of Michele’s Cherry Chocolate granola (2/3 of a standard brown bag)
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
- Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- With mixer running, add egg, beating until well combined, then stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Roll dough out on a parchment paper–lined work surface into a 14- x 11-inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick), flouring top of dough as needed to prevent sticking. Trim into a 13- x 10-inch rectangle.
- Slide parchment paper with dough onto a large baking sheet and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Prick holes all over dough about 3/4 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven until set in middle but still soft, 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack, and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Pulse the granola in a food processor to break up the chunks and chop the cherries.
- Cut the cooled cookie crosswise into 2 rectangles, inverting one half onto a large piece of foil and top with one pint of ice cream, spreading to edges in an even layer.
- Spread on the granola evenly across the ice cream layer, pressing gently, then spread the second pint evenly over the granola
- Place the remaining cookie half on top of ice cream, wrap in aluminum foil and freeze 8 hours.
- Remove frozen sandwich from foil and cut into 12 bars. Serve immediately or wrap the individual sandwiches in parchment or wax paper and store in the freezer up to 1 month.