This indulgently rich and creamy soup is packed with bold flavor, balanced with a crunchy topping of our oat-y pecan-filled winter Cranberry Pecan granola, studded with pleasantly tart dried cranberries.
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded, ribbed, and finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
½ tsp garlic powder
3 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
12 oz of your favorite beer
2 cups whole milk
3 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 cup frozen sweet corn
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
3 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese, plus more for serving
About 1/4 bag of Michele’s Cranberry Pecan Granola
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and oil.
- Add shallots, jalapeno, bell pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Sprinkle flour and constantly whisk for 1 minute.
- Whisk in vegetable stock, beer, and milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add corn and cheeses. Stir until melted and creamy. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish each bowl with 2 heaping tablespoons of Cranberry Pecan granola and sprinkle with more cheese.